Sunday, December 23, 2007

My First Entry

Hello everyone!

I've told a few of you already my plan for 2008: to create and maintain a blog about food: the food I make, the restaurants I frequent, and the things I read (food related, of course).  

Well, this is the beginning of that blog.  Since it's only December 23, 2007 this posting will contain only one thing: my family's Egg Nog recipe -- just in time for the holidays!

Now I know that most of you think of Egg Nog as that disgusting, thick, overly-spiced drink made bearable only by large quantities of brandy or rum.  But this drink is something completely different.  It's sweet, smooth, only as thick as the milk you put in it.  In short, it's wonderful in every way.  And since I only make it around the holidays, now is the perfect time for you to jump in and give it a try.

So, Happy Holidays!  Enjoy this, and I'll be starting this whole project up in the new year.

1/3 cup sugar

2 eggs, separated

1/4 tsp. salt

4 cups milk

3 tbls. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

Brandy or rum flavoring to taste

1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped

Ground nutmeg


  • Beat 1/3 cup sugar into egg yolks.  Add salt; stir in milk.  
  • Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till mixture coats the spoon (this takes awhile!!).  Cool.  
  • Beat egg whites until foamy.  Gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, beating to soft peaks.  
  • Add egg whites mixture to custard (milk mixture) and mix thoroughly.  
  • Add vanilla and flavoring.  Chill 3 hours.   
  • Pour into punch bowl or cups.  Dot with "islands" of whipped cream; dash with nutmeg. 
Serves 6-8.


xoxo


2 comments:

PlantJosh said...

Ok Seth, Im gonna try it. I'll let you know how it goes over with the Fam!
Merry Holidays!

armin said...

Seth, I love eggnog and am gonna try this. what i am going to lobby is for the labm and au gratin to be part of our new years eve feast. thanks for the blog, i am gonna love it. armin